Building Permit Information
East Bank Office
Joseph S. Yenni Building
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Suite 101
Jefferson, LA 70123
Phone: (504) 736-6957
West Bank Office
1855 Ames Blvd., Suite A
Marrero, LA 70072
Phone: (504) 364-3512
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What is the purpose of the Building Permit Department?
- The department regulates building construction to ensure compliance with the current adopted codes as mandated by the State of Louisiana Uniform Construction Code Council.
- What are your business hours?
- Both the Eastbank and Westbank offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- NOTE: The Permitting and Plan Review sections will schedule reservations from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm Monday through Friday. However, you may apply for a permit online at www.mygovernmentonline.org
- What type of information do you need to report a complaint about construction without proper permits and/or not in compliance with regulatory codes?
- The proper information is essential to the section investigating your complaint. You need to report the exact address of your complaint and a brief description of the complaint. Make a complaint at Request Services/Make a Complaint Tab
- What happens to my complaint?
- The appropriate section will send an investigator to the site within 3 working days. If a violation exists, the investigator will issue a violation or take the appropriate action required by the section handling the complaint.
BUILDING REGULATORY DIVISION:
The Building Regulatory Division performs a wide range of inspection activity including building, electrical, plumbing, gas, and mechanical. This is to ensure the highest quality of construction and safety to building occupants.
DID YOU KNOW?
- A licensed plumber is required to install a new water heater with the issuance of a plumbing filing
- A building permit is required to erect or replace a carport, shed, or fence
- A licensed electrician is required to perform any electrical work with the issuance of an electrical filing
- A Jefferson Parish Home Builder’s license is required to perform any work which value exceeds $7,500.00.
- A licensed mechanical contractor is required to install or replace any a/c condenser with the issuance of a mechanical filing
- You are allowed to hold two garage sales in one year, and a permit is issued online by the Dept. of Citizen's Affairs Apply at www.mygovernmentonline.org
- A property survey, with all existing improvements is required to obtain most building permits
- No construction is allowed over or encroaching upon any servitude without approval from Jefferson Parish and applicable utilities companies