Severn Avenue Corridor Improvements


Joseph S. Yenni Building
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Suite 906
Jefferson, LA 70123
Phone: (504) 736-6833
Fax:     (504) 736-6739
Email: JPCapitalProjects@jeffparish.net

SEVERN AVENUE CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENTS
(Veterans Boulevard to West Esplanade Avenue)
Jefferson Parish, LA

Jefferson Parish Public Works No. 2017-026-RBP
LA DOTD State Project No. H.011752

SevernAveParlets-2063x1650-01.jpg

Picture 1: New Pedestrian “Parklet” Area

Jefferson Parish is designing the reconstruction of Severn Avenue from Veterans Boulevard to West Esplanade Avenue (West Bound) with the goal of creating an aesthetically pleasing pedestrian and bicycle friendly corridor. The project will include significant drainage improvements, replacement of all concrete roadway pavement, a dedicated bike lane from 18th St to West Esplanade Avenue to connect Fat City to the Lakefront Path, new eight foot wide paver sidewalks and crosswalks, landscaping, and decorative street lighting.

The Severn Avenue Corridor Improvements project will be phased to minimize traffic impacts during construction, but some temporary traffic inconveniences should be anticipated.

Please note the following roadway facilities will be changed from the existing layout:

  • North Bound Severn Avenue (Between 18th Street and West Esplanade Ave.)

    1. The roadway will be reduced from three (3) through lanes to two (2) through lanes between 17th Street and Melvil Dewey Drive.

    2. A new bicycle lane will run adjacent to the through lanes.

    3. The roadway will be widened as necessary to accommodate the bike lane and maintain the right turn lanes at 17th Street and West Esplanade Avenue (East Bound).

    SevernAveParklets-2358x588-02.jpg

    Picture 2: Typical Roadway Section
    (Between 18th Street and West Esplanade Avenue)

  • South Bound Severn Avenue (Between West Esplanade Ave. and 16th Street)

    1. The roadway will be reduced from three (3) through lanes to two (2) through lanes.

    2. A new southbound bicycle lane will run adjacent to the through lanes.

    SevernAveParklets-2371x1153-03.jpg

    Picture 3: Typical Roadway Layout
    (Between 18th Street and West Esplanade Avenue)

All existing right and left turn lane movements within the Severn Avenue Corridor will remain.  In addition, the number of vehicular traffic lanes at all signalized intersections within the corridor will remain the same.

For the complete Severn Avenue proposed corridor layout, please click on the following link:

Severn Avenue Pavement and Landscape Plans - [PDF}

The Severn Avenue Corridor Improvements project has been added to the Federal Aid Urban System Program making 80% of construction costs eligible for federal funds. The remaining 20% of construction costs will be funded by an existing local 1% sales tax through the Road Bond Program.

The current schedule is to being construction in the first quarter of 2020 provided the necessary federal funding is available.

BikeLanePlan-2013--04.jpg

If you would like to leave a comment or concern, please submit all inquiries to: SevernAvenue@jeffparish.net