East Bank Office
Joseph S. Yenni Building
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Suite 517
Jefferson, LA 70123
Phone: (504) 736-6180
Fax: (504) 736-6125
West Bank Office
General Government Building
200 Derbigny St., Suite 3400
Gretna, LA 70053
Phone: (504) 736-6180
Nicole C. Thompson, Director
Wayne Jones, Safety Manager (Ext. 86156)
The function of the Jefferson Parish Safety and Occupational Health Division is to provide safe working conditions that are free from any recognized mechanical/health hazards that would threaten a safe environment for Parish employees and the citizens of Jefferson Parish.
The mission of the Safety Division is to manage and/or administer a Parish-wide employee/public safety program. This program is committed to the prevention of injury, illness, and property damage throughout Jefferson Parish. To accomplish our mission, the Safety/Occupational Health Division performs the following functions:
- Provides safety leadership to all departments through safety programs, initiatives, training, accident prevention, and safety communications.
- Serves as "in-house" safety consultants to Parish Administration and officials and to outside safety-related agencies.
- Develops long-term goals and strategies toward an accident-free workplace.
- Produces safety-related policies, procedures, and updates in the Employee Safety Manual.
- Responds and assists in resolving safety-related disputes, grievances, or complaints.
- Performs safety and health related inspections and job site observations of Parish operations to identify unsafe employee acts and/or unsafe physical conditions, recommends corrective action, and does follow-up.
- Administers management of Return to Work Program.
- Conducts accident investigations and safety-related data gathering, as necessary.
- Evaluates driving reports and follows up as necessary.
- Monitors Tailgate Safety Meetings and departmental accident review meetings.
- Facilitates Departmental Accident Review Committee Meetings
The Safety Division offers training classes in the following areas:
- Accident Investigation
- Annual (SYETP) Safety Orientation
- Backhoe Training
- Chainsaw Safety/Heat Stress class
- Commercial Drivers License Preparation
- CPR/Automated External Defibrillator
- Defensive Driving
- Emergency Procedure Plans
- Introduction to Safe Forklift Operation
- New Employee Safety Orientation/Safety Training for High Risk Jobs
- Parish-wide A/L, G/L, & W/C Claim Evaluations/Reductions
- Poison Ivy Protection Class
- Rheem Bldg. Traffic/ Speeding Recommendations
- Safety Seminars for Head Start Centers (Yearly Certification)
- Screen Cleaning classes for Drainage and Streets
- Supervisor Safety Leadership - ongoing safety training for all supervisors
For the Employee Safety Manual click HERE.