Carbon Monoxide Precautions


East Bank Office
Joseph S. Yenni Building
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd., Suite 517
Jefferson, LA 70123
Phone: (504) 736-6180
Fax:     (504) 736-6125
JPHumanResources@jeffparish.net

West Bank Office
General Government Building
200 Derbigny St., Suite 3400
Gretna, LA 70053
Phone: (504) 736-6180

Nicole C. Thompson, Director

SAFETY BULLETIN

For Immediate Release

Advice from the National Safety Council and South Louisiana Chapter

About Carbon Monoxide


(New Orleans, LA) -- The National Safety Council and the South Louisiana Chapter warn that carbon monoxide (CO) can be deadly. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that interferes with the delivery of oxygen in the blood to the rest of the body.

Carbon monoxide is produced as a result of incomplete burning of carbon-containing fuels including coal, wood, charcoal, natural gas, and fuel oil. It can be emitted by combustion sources such as unvented kerosene and gas space heaters, furnaces, woodstoves, gas stoves, fireplaces and water heaters, automobile exhaust from attached garages, and tobacco smoke. Problems can arise as a result of improper installation, maintenance, or inadequate ventilation.

Health Effects


Carbon monoxide interferes with the distribution of oxygen in the blood to the rest of the body. Depending on the amount inhaled, this gas can impede coordination, worsen cardiovascular conditions, and produce fatigue, headache, weakness, confusion, disorientation, nausea, and dizziness. Very high levels can cause death.

"The symptoms are sometimes confused with the flu or food poisoning. Fetuses, infants, the elderly, and people with heart and respiratory illnesses are particularly at high risk for the adverse health effects of carbon monoxide.

An estimated 1,000 people die each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and thousands of others end up in hospital emergency rooms.

To Prevent CO Poisoning
  • Ensure that appliances are properly adjusted and working to manufacturers' instructions and local building codes.
  • Obtain annual inspections for heating system, chimneys, and flues and have them cleaned by a qualified technician.
  • Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
  • Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.
  • Do not use ovens and gas ranges to heat your home.
  • Do not burn charcoal inside a home, cabin, recreational vehicle, or camper.
  • Make sure stoves and heaters are vented to the outside and that exhaust systems do not leak.
  • Do not use un-vented gas or kerosene space heaters in enclosed spaces.
  • Never leave a car or lawn mower engine running in a shed or garage, or in any enclosed space.
  • Make sure your furnace has adequate intake of outside air.

Don't ignore symptoms of CO poisoning, especially if more than one person is feeling them. If you think you are suffering from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, you should

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows. Turn off combustion appliances and leave the house.
  • Go to an emergency room. Be sure to tell the physician that you suspect CO poisoning.
  • Be prepared to answer the following questions: Is anyone else in your household complaining of similar symptoms? Did everyone's symptoms appear about the same time? Are you using any fuel-burning appliances in the home?
  • Has anyone inspected your appliances lately? Are you certain they are working properly?
Carbon Monoxide Detectors


Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors can be used as a backup but not as a replacement for proper use and maintenance of your fuel-burning appliances. CO detector technology is still being developed and the detectors are not generally considered to be as reliable as the smoke detectors found in homes today. You should not choose a CO detector solely on the basis of cost; do some research on the different features available.

Carbon monoxide detectors should meet Underwriters Laboratories Inc. standards, have a long- term warranty, and be easily self-tested and reset to ensure proper functioning. For maximum effectiveness during sleeping hours, carbon monoxide detectors should be placed close to sleeping areas.


If your CO detector goes off, you should

  • Make sure it is the CO detector and not the smoke alarm.
  • Check to see if any member of your household is experiencing symptoms.
  • If they are, get them out of the house immediately and seek medical attention.
  • If no one is feeling symptoms, ventilate the home with fresh air and turn off all potential sources of CO.
  • Have a qualified technician inspect your fuel-burning appliances and chimneys to make sure they are operating correctly.

    The National Safety Council, America's safety and health leader for 90 years, is a non- governmental public service organization with 50 local chapters around the country and members representing 37,500 business and labor organizations, schools, public agencies and private group)


    Prepare Today for a Safer Tomorrow!

    YOUR JEFFERSON PARISH SAFETY DIVISION