Most property in unincorporated Jefferson Parish has a zoning classification. For example, a property may be “zoned for residential” or “commercially zoned.” The zoning districts in unincorporated Jefferson Parish are listed on the back of this sheet.

The purpose of zoning is to promote health, safety, and welfare by regulating the development of land. In Jefferson Parish, zoning includes:

  • What the land or buildings can be used for;
  • Where on the land buildings or other structures can be placed;
  • How tall or big a building can be;
  • How much parking is required;
  • Where and how much landscaping is required; and
  • How much signage is allowed.

How do I find out what my property is zoned?

Visit the Geoportal online at http://geoportal.jeffparish.net/public, or come in person to the Planning Department and speak with a planner. Planners do not provide the zoning district of a property over the phone.

If you need an official determination of your property’s zoning in writing, you must request a Zoning Determination.  A zoning determination can take up to three business days to complete: To request a zoning determination, please submit:

  • A signed letter stating the request, identifying the property, listing the person who should receive the determination, and stating how the determination should be sent (e.g. email, fax, mail)
  • An accurate survey of the property and/or a legal description so that the Planning Department can accurately identify the property
  • A check for $30.00, made payable to “Jefferson Parish Pooled Fund” (if requesting for more than one property, include a separate check for each property)

How do I find out what my property can be used for?

The Planning Department can assist you in understanding the zoning restrictions that affect your property. Please contact a planner via phone, email, or in-person. Our offices are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. To allow sufficient time for a planner to meet with customers, the department encourages customers to arrive by 4:00pm.

You may also view the zoning regulations online. Visit the Planning Department’s webpage and click on “Code of Ordinances” on the left menu bar.

Can the zoning of a property be changed?

Yes. There are two basic ways that the zoning of a property can be changed:

  • The owner of the property may request a zoning change
  • The Parish Council may request that the zoning of an area be studied and potentially changed

How do I apply for a zoning change of my property?

Consult with a planner in the Planning Department and complete a rezoning application. The application fee is $200 per acre of land (maximum $5,000). You must also pay for advertising. Your application will be reviewed and the Planning Department will make a technical recommendation. The Planning Advisory Board will hold a public hearing and make a recommendation, then the Parish Council will hold a public hearing and make a final decision. The process generally takes at least three months.

How would I find out if a zoning change is requested for a property near me?

All zoning changes must be advertised. At least one sign will be posted on the property or in the area if several properties are being rezoned. A notice will be published in the newspaper. Also, if a property owner requested the rezoning, a letter will be mailed to all owners of property within 300 feet.

I want to show my support or opposition to a proposed zoning change. How do I do that?

  • You may send your comments to the Planning Advisory Board (PAB) via email, fax, or mail, or attend a PAB public hearing. PAB public hearings are Thursdays at 5:00 p.m. Information for the PAB can be found online at jeffparish.net.
  • You may contact a Parish Council member or attend a Parish Council public hearing. Council public hearings are Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. Information for the Parish Council can be found online at jeffparish.net.

For a printable version of this information click here.