COVID-19 UPDATE PAGE
We know now more than ever, it is critically important to fulfill our duty in delivering essential services to our community. The following Jefferson Parish services and departments are operating. Please keep in mind that this list can change quickly. We will continue to advise if changes are made:
Alario Center is closed to the public at this time. All events scheduled at the Alario Center are canceled or postponed, until further notice. Free COVID-19 testing is offered daily at the Alario Center for individuals 18+, ID required but insurance not needed. This site opens at 8AM every day and there is a cap of 150 tests per day.
The Jefferson Parish Economic Development Commission (JEDCO), alongside the Jefferson Parish Council and Administration, released the Jefferson Back to Business Plan. JEDCO will regularly provide business updates and access to resources on the JEDCO website and all JEDCO social media channels. For more information, visit www.jedco.org/covid19-updates/.
Engagement and Community Programs
- Citizens’ Affairs will continue to operate, with the exception of all permitted special events in Jefferson Parish regardless of size, which are suspended until further notice.
- Headstart is suspended as it follows the directive of the Jefferson Parish Public School Systems..
- All non-essential programming and events at Jefferson Parish Community Centers and Senior Centers are suspended, until further notice; this includes rentals and the Senior Expo which is canceled.
- Essential services, including food distribution will continue. JeffCAP is maintaining regular operating hours for the food pantry; however, it will be strictly drive-through.
- The Jefferson Workforce Connection, also identified as “American Job Center”, is closed to the public. Citizens can file an unemployment claim at www.louisianaworks.net/hire or by calling 1-866-783-5567.
First Responder/Public Safety Departments-Operations
Jefferson Parish Fire Services, Eastbank Consolidated Fire Department, Emergency Management, Community Justice Agency and Juvenile Services are fully operational and ready to respond to citizens’ needs during this time.
Jefferson Parish Animal Shelters
The Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter is open to the public by appointment-only. All must wear a face covering or mask and undergo a temperature screening prior to entering. Animal Control will ramp up services and continue to respond to emergency calls, including issues of aggressive or injured animals. CLICK HERE for additional information.
Jefferson Parish Citizens’ Affairs
The Jefferson Parish Citizens’ Affairs Department will begin issuing special event permits adhering to state guidelines which call for keeping 6 feet of social distancing. Applicants must submit a plan for special events that adhere to state guidelines; all can request an application for a special event by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Jefferson Parish is monitoring the state guidelines on filming and will resume permitting when the state allows
Jefferson Parish Credit Union
Effective Friday March 20th all of our branches will be closed to the public, however, both Kenner and Odom will continue to operate the drive thru. We will continue member support via the phone and e-mail primarily at email@example.com. Our ATM’s are up and fully operational.
Jefferson Parish Government Buildings (GGB & Yenni)
All Jefferson Parish government buildings are closed to the public; however, departments will continue to handle essential business by phone, email or appointments on an as-needed basis. All employees and members of the public will be required to wear a mask or face covering while they are in any public common area. This includes lobby areas, elevators and hallways. Directors and security personnel will have the discretion to refuse admittance to any building if they deem necessary. All employees and members of the public will be subject to a temperature check prior to entering any building. Individuals that do not meet the temperature threshold will not be admitted and be referred to a healthcare provider if needed.
Jefferson Parish Inspection and Code Enforcement
The Department of Inspection and Code Enforcement will continue to operate as it relates to the permitting and review process including inspections; however, the offices are closed to the public, until further notice. Citizens are encouraged to use My Permit Now, or to call 504-736-6957 to conduct business. More information is available at www.jeffparish.net/departments/inspection---code-enforcement.
JeffCAP Head Start Centers will remain closed to the public during Phase Two (pending guidance from Health and Human Services) and the food pantry distribution schedule will remain curbside only. Customers will continue to receive services by phone and drop box. On June 8, JeffCAP will begin assisting with CSBG Emergency Rent/Mortgage, Water Assistance and Senior Food Vouchers. Applications will be available online and can be picked up at the Jefferson Parish Community Centers. CLICK HERE for more information.
Jefferson Parish Library
The Jefferson Parish Library will be open to the public on June 10; however, hours may vary by branch. Patrons can request and reserve items to pick up via curbside service or inside via self-checkout or counter service. Distanced computers will be available for use by advanced reservation and distanced seating will be available inside for patrons use. Meeting and study rooms remain closed during Phase Two. Patrons must wear a face covering or mask and undergo a temperature screening prior to entering. Many online resources are still available at www.jplibrary.net.
Jefferson Parish Planning
The Planning Department will continue to operate as it relates to the processing of applications for subdivision, site plan reviews, and zoning change requests; however, the offices are closed to the public, until further notice. Citizens are encouraged to call 504-736-6320 to speak with a planner regarding submitting applications. More information is available at www.jeffparish.net/planning. For questions regarding scheduled Planning Advisory Board hearings, please contact the staff of the PAB at 504-736-6355.
Jefferson Parish Parks & Recreation
The Jefferson Parish Parks and Recreation Department (JPRD) facilities and programs that are open during Phase Two include the following (visit www.JPRD.org for more information):
- Tennis Courts, Batting Cages, Dog Parks, Fishing Piers, Disc Golf and Boardwalks
- Fields and open green space (under social distancing guidelines)
- Outdoor restrooms, outdoor water fountains, outdoor exercise equipment and Tot Lots (to be cleaned and sanitized during open hours)
- Shelters, meeting rooms/rental reservations and bookings will resume on June 5 at JPRD facilities; facility reservations will be limited to 50% capacity
- Carousel and Spray Parks open at 50% capacity (note: Lafreniere Park currently closed under construction; Parc de Families Spray Park will reopen on June 10)
- All non-contact and solo sports, which includes JPRD Youth softball and baseball with the first game on June 15
- Johnny Jacobs Pool will open on June 13 for lap swimming, water aerobics, family reservations for controlled recreational swim (swim lessons will not be offered during Phase Two)
- Concession Stands are open to serve packaged items and bottled drinks only
- Summer Camps started on June 1; Enrichment Camps begin on July 6, JPRD Leisure Services Classes will resume at 50% of their enrollment capacity.
- JPRD facilities and programs to remain closed during Phase Two:
- All contact sports, including outdoor basketball goals
- All senior programs, including Golden Age programming
Jefferson Parish Transit
The Jefferson Parish Transit Department (JeT) is fully operational and is working alongside Transdev and health and security officials, as well as industry leaders for updates and best practices. Effective on Friday, May 15, all riders are required to wear face coverings or masks upon boarding.
Our Transit Department has increased sanitization effort to ensure the safety of its riders, which includes: daily cleaning of all 41 buses and 20 paratransit vehicles; mounting hand sanitizer dispensers to all Buses and Paratransit vehicles next week; regular announcements on all buses and on every route in both English and Spanish. JeT will continue to operate regular scheduled service for all fixed route bus service and paratransit services.
Jefferson Performing Arts Society
Events at the Jefferson Performing Arts Society are canceled until further notice.
Land Use & Development-Operations
Jefferson Parish Inspection and Code Enforcement, including permitting, and Property Maintenance and Zoning will continue. These Departments enforce Parish zoning laws pertaining to the use and upkeep of all property in Jefferson Parish.
Public Works Departments-Operations
The Jefferson Parish Department of Public Works will remain open, which consists of multiple departments including Water (bill pay and collection), Sewerage, Drainage, Streets, Parkways, Garbage and Landfill Operations. Collectively, Public Works Departments maintain and improve Parish infrastructure. We are committed to continuing to provide the best and most efficient service to the citizens of our Parish during this time.
- Garbage collection and recycling services will continue. Jefferson Parish provides for the collection of containerized household garbage twice per week; recycling collection is once per week.
- The Jefferson Parish Water Department will restore water services to any resident who has been shut off within the past two weeks. Our Water Department will also refrain from shutting off water for the coming weeks due to the COVID-19 situation in our community. Residents and business owners who pay water bills in-person, are encouraged to do so online at www.JeffParish.net, by phone or by using the Terry Parkway Drive-Through service, which is located at 721 Terry Parkway Terrytown, LA 70056 (Drive-Up Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
Curbside recycling pick-up in Unincorporated Jefferson Parish and the Town of Jean Lafitte, as well as drop-off recycling at the David Drive and Lapalco collection centers will be resume effective Monday, May 18, 2020. Recycling was temporarily suspended on March 25th to protect workers who sort material by hand at the processing facility. While we know that this was an inconvenience for our residents, we truly appreciate the consideration and understanding while our hauler and processor, Waste Connections, made sure that workers were safe. Residents may place their recycling bin out on their normally scheduled pick-up day.