JEFFERSON PARISH, LOUISIANA
April 22, 2022
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JEFFERSON PARISH HOSTS HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS
MATERIALS COLLECTION EVENT ON SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2022
JEFFERSON, LA – The Jefferson Parish Department of Environmental Affairs will collect household hazardous materials (HHM) from Jefferson Parish residents on Saturday, May 21, 2022 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. This collection event will take place in the parking lot of the Joseph S. Yenni Building, located at 1221 Elmwood Park Blvd. Residents should enter from Citrus Blvd. to dispose of their materials. The event is open to Jefferson Parish residents only; waste generated by a business/commercial establishment will not be accepted.
As a state and national Keep America Beautiful affiliate, this event is part of the Parish’s continued participation in the Great American Cleanup. Jefferson Parish is one of more than 600 affiliates participating in this national event that targets waste reduction, community beautification and other environmental endeavors. Other partners for Jefferson Parish’s Collection event include the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, OMI Environmental Solutions and the Jefferson Parish Department of General Services.
HHM are leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable or reactive ingredients. Products such as paints, common household cleaners, oils, batteries and pesticides that contain potentially hazardous ingredients require special care when disposed. The improper disposal of HHM can include pouring waste down the drain, into storm drains, or, in some cases, putting it out with the trash. The dangers of such disposal methods might not be immediately obvious, but improper disposal pollutes the environment and may pose a threat to human health.
Materials that will be accepted for this event include the following:
- Mercury-Containing Equipment: Thermostats, thermometers, elemental mercury.
- Paint: Latex coatings, oil paint, varnishes, wood preservers in original containers.
- Lawn & Garden Products: Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, fertilizers, bug sprays.
- Household Cleaning Products: Cleaning solvents, corrosive cleaners, oven cleaners, drain cleaners, disinfectants, degreasers.
- Household Chemicals: Pool chemicals, photo chemicals.
- Lighting Components: Ballasts, fluorescent and neon light bulbs and tubes.
- Small Arms Ammunition, Pyrotechnics, and Safety Equipment: Rifle and pistol cartridges, shotgun shells, fireworks, flares, fire extinguishers.
- Electronic Waste: Computers, LCD monitors, printers, radios, camcorders, VCR’s, CD players, DVD players, MP3 players, telephones, stereos, Xboxes, PlayStation and Wii gaming systems, digital cameras and digital video cameras, digital picture frames, portable navigation and GPS devices (Garmin, Magellan, Tom-Tom), fax machines, circuit boards (of any type), processors, uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), toner cartridges, ink jet cartridges, televisions, CRT monitors, noncommercial copy machines, printers, power tools.
Materials that will NOT be accepted for this event include the following:
- Nonresidential waste of any kind
- Medical waste or medicines of any kind
- Propane tanks
- Explosives (hand grenades, dynamite, etc.)
- Styrofoam, including packing peanuts
- School lab waste
- Paper, cardboard, tin aluminum cans, plastics (Place in your curbside recycling bin)
- Automotive Waste: Motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, gasoline, automotive fluids and car batteries can be recycled at the following Parish drop-off sites throughout the year.
- METAIRIE: 400 David Dr. (entrance between Airline Dr. and West Metairie Ave.)
- MARRERO: 6440 Lapalco Blvd. (entrance is on Betty Blvd.)
For additional information about this event, please contact the Department of Environmental Affairs Department at (504) 731-4612. For more information about Jefferson Parish, visit www.jeffparish.net. Residents can also recieve regular updates by following the Parish on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@JeffParishGov) or by texting JPALERT or JPNOTICIAS to 888-777.
Jefferson Parish Public Information Office
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard, Suite 1002
Jefferson, LA 70123
JPALERT – SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMERGENCY ALERTS
Gretchen Hirt Gendron, PIO