JEFFERSON PARISH, LOUISIANA
October 25, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JEFFERSON PARISH PARTNERS WITH LOUISIANA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
TO ADMINISTER FREE FLU SHOTS AND COVID-19 VACCINES ON NOVEMBER 6, 2021
JEFFERSON, LA – Jefferson Parish, in collaboration with the Louisiana Department of Health (LDH), will be administering the influenza (flu) vaccine and COVID-19 vaccines and boosters on Saturday, November 6, 2021 at Johnny Jacobs Playground (5851 5th Ave., Marrero, LA 70072) from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. This will be a drive-thru event, however walk-ups are also welcome. If receiving the flu vaccine, please bring a health insurance card if you have one. There will be no out-of-pocket costs for any vaccine administered. Registration for this event is not necessary.
All persons aged 6 months of age and older are recommended for annual flu vaccination, with rare exceptions. Everyone in Louisiana ages 12 and older is eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer is the only COVID-19 vaccine approved for people ages 12-17). The Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines have received emergency use authorization from the FDA. They are safe and effective at preventing illness from COVID-19. The Pfizer vaccine has received full FDA approval over the age of 16 and older. Individuals may receive both the flu vaccine and the COVID vaccine at the same time if they choose to do so.
At this time, booster shots of the COVID-19 vaccine are available to adults at increased risk, following new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Any individual that received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines at least 6 months ago and meets one of the following criteria is eligible for a booster:
- Are over 65 years old
- Are over 18 and have cancer, chronic kidney disease, chronic lung disease, dementia, diabetes, down syndrome, heart conditions, HIV infection, immunocompromised, liver disease, obesity, pregnancy, sickle cell disease, cerebrovascular disease, organ or stem cell transplant, or have been a smoker
- Are over 18 and are a healthcare worker, first responder, education staff, food and agriculture worker, manufacturing workers, corrections workers, U.S. Postal service workers, public transit workers or grocery store workers
- Are over 18 and live in an institutional setting such as a correctional facility or homeless shelter
Any individual that is over 18 years old and received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least 2 months ago is eligible for a booster.
Third dose supplemental vaccines are recommended for anyone that is moderately to severely immunocompromised. Only Moderna and Pfizer vaccines can be used for these vaccine doses and individuals should receive the same vaccine as their first and second doses. Individuals must complete an attestation form at the vaccination site stating that they have one of the following conditions:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Action treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune system.
Visit COVID.JeffParish.net to stay updated on COVID-19 in Jefferson Parish, including available resources, weekly test sites, local dashboard and more. CLICK HERE for a list of other vaccine sites that are supported by Jefferson Parish, this list is updated regularly. Additional vaccination information, along with a list of local vaccine providers, is also available on the LDH website at www.LDH.la.gov/covidvaccine. For more information about the flu vaccine, visit https://www.cdc.gov/flu/.
For more information about Jefferson Parish, visit www.JeffParish.net. Residents can also receive regular updates by following the Parish on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@JeffParishGov) or by texting JPALERT or JPNOTICIAS to 888-777.
Jefferson Parish Public Information Office
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard, Suite 1002
Jefferson, LA 70123
JPALERT – SIGN UP TO RECEIVE EMERGENCY ALERTS
Gretchen Hirt Gendron, PIO