Research & Budget Analysis
J. P. Government Building
200 Derbigny St., 6th Floor,, Suite 6600
Gretna, LA 70053
Phone: (504) 364-2711
Under Section 2-67 of the Jefferson Parish Code of Ordinances, the duties and responsibilities of the Research & Budget Director and Staff are as follows:
- Be available to the Jefferson Parish Council to analyze policy proposals brought forth by the Jefferson Parish Administration and to formulate new policy proposals on behalf of the Jefferson Parish Council concerning issues not addressed by the Jefferson Parish Administration;
- Exercise continuing surveillance over revenue and expenditure patterns in relation to the budget;
- Provide analytical input into Jefferson Parish Council decisions on budget requests;
- Evaluate on a continuous basis the efficiency and effectiveness by which budget resources are allocated and utilized;
- Other such activities and/or responsibilities as the Jefferson Parish Council may direct.
Other duties and responsibilities which have been assigned to or assumed by the Research & Budget Directors and Staff include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Draft new ordinances, resolutions and/or policies as directed by the Jefferson Parish Council or by any member of the Council.
- Advise the Jefferson Parish Council on general Council procedures.
- Analyze the Parish operating budget in a report to the Council for proposed operating budget and various other taxing districts. Review and report on Parish's capital budget.
- Attend and report on budget hearings for the annual operating budget with the various Jefferson Parish departments and the Administration.
- Prepare analytic reports and summaries for Council review.
- Prepare synopsis of items on Council meeting agendas. Be prepared to discuss and advise on agenda items with Council offices.
- Evaluate proposed and adopted Administration policies and proposed and adopted legislation.
- Mediate disputes between the Jefferson Parish Council and the Jefferson Parish Administration on policy and budget matters.
- Attend all Jefferson Parish Council meetings and serve as a member of and/or advisor to various Parish standing committees such as: the Charter Advisory Board, Bid Disqualification Review Committee, Consultant Selection (SOQ and RFP) Committees, Alcoholic Beverage Permit Review Committee, Hotel/Motel Advisory Committee and Official Journal evaluation and selection. Also attend any civic meetings or other outside meetings as requested by Council members.
- Review and report on the required Financial Disclosure Statements which all appointed or elected Parish employees are required by Parish ordinance to file annually.
- Evaluate and report on State legislation affecting the Parish's operations and budget.
- Research legislation, polices, laws, procedures and government operations and be available to comment on these as requested.
- Manage redistricting/reapportionment process as required by the Parish Charter and State and Federal laws.
- Prepare polling place changes. Maintain political precincts and polling places according to state and federal regulations. Prepare election district maps. Prepare submittals on behalf of the Jefferson Parish Council to the U.S. Department of Justice for approval as required by the Voting Rights Act of all election procedural changes.
- Draft, review and amend contract language for professional service contracts and any other contracts as requested by Council members. Monitor and report on amendments to professional service and bid contracts.
- Prepare reports on various economic indicators such as sales tax totals, unemployment, fund balances and public assistance/improvement funds: Track Video poker, hotel/motel taxes and riverboat gaming funds revenues and expenditures.
- Update board and committee information, including membership rolls and dates for term expiration for Council appointees.
- Be available to comment on the Parish, State and Federal regulations and procedures affecting the overall political and governmental process.
- Personnel management and supervise research staff. Assign tasks and projects. Monitor and review work. Evaluate employee work performance. Approves salary increases, discipline/discharge, transfer and promote employees. Hire personnel. Conduct staff meetings. Supervise employee time, attendance and vacation leave.
- Serve as liaison for Jefferson Parish Council with the Jefferson Parish Administration.